Each of these files includes this text:
- for all other files of the VST 3 SDK, the respective embedded license text is applicable, for example:
- all VSTGUI files fall under a BSD style license
- all Helper files (included in base and public.sdk folders) except VST 2 files fall under a BSD style license
- all VST 2 files (included in pluginterfaces and public.sdk folders) fall under the "Proprietary Steinberg VST 2" license
- all mda-vst3 examples (public.sdk/samples/mda-vst3 folder) fall under a BSD style license: Copyright (c) 2008 Paul Kellett
What´s about VST 2?
The "Proprietary Steinberg VST 2" license, which is the VST 2 license agreement, allows you to distribute your VST 2 plug-in/host in a binary form. However, please note the following requirements:
- You need written permission from Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH in order to distribute your VST 2 plug-in/host (which had to be done before October 2018).
- You need to mention Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH in the about box and/or documentation of your VST 2 plug-in/host and follow the Steinberg VST usage guidelines.
- Note that the "Proprietary Steinberg VST 3" license does not include the "Proprietary Steinberg VST 2" license, you have to sign it separately! It was available in the VST 2 SDK and in the VST 3 SDK old version.
- Note that from the first of October 2018, Steinberg does not accept any more submissions of license agreement for VST 2 plug-in/host! This means: