This open source application (Win/macOS) allows you to generate easily a new VST 3 plug-in project by just entering in a GUI some parameters. Check the folder "VST3_Project_Generator" of the SDK!
Check the folder "VST3_Project_Generator" of the SDK!
Start the VST 3 Project Generator Application
The first time you start the application, you will ask to define 2 folders where are located the VST SDK and the CMake tool. It still possible to change these folders afterward in the Preferences Tab, see Setting the Preferences.
The Visit us: menu includes some useful links.
If you have already downloaded the CMake tool, you just have to indicate the Project Generator where it is located, for this click on Locate CMake and choose with the file selector the cmake.exe file:
If you do not have previously installed the CMake tool, you could download it, just click on Download CMake, an internet browser will open the dedicated CMake webpage, check the Download section and install CMake.
Locate VST SDK
If you have already downloaded the VST SDK, you just have to indicate the Project Generator where it is located, for this click on Locate VST SDK and choose with the folder selector the VST3_SDK folder:
If you do not have previously installed the VST SDK, you could download it, just click on Download VST SDK, a dialog appears:
You have 2 possibilities to download the VST 3 SDK:
- Commercial: by clicking on it you will be redirect to the latest available SDK version to download, including all tools (check What is the VST 3 SDK?), with this variant of the SDK you are able to create and commercialize your plug-ins (See What are the licensing options for VST 3?).
- Open Source: by clicking on it you will be redirect to Steinberg Github where you will be able to clone the VST 3 SDK, this variant does not included all available tools (See What are the licensing options for VST 3?).
VST SDK and cmake successfully located
As soon as the requested 2 locations are founded, the user interface of the application should like this:
The next time you start the Project Generator application you will not asked to relocate them!
Setting the Preferences
Before creating any plug-in project, you have to define some global preferences which will be automatically saved when closing the application.
The information included in this subsection will be used for generating Factory information associated to all plug-ins you will generate. This will be read by the host application loading your plug-ins and the host may display it to an user.
- Vendor: this is your Company name: e.g. "Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH"
- E-Mail: your email, which could be used by the host to redirect an user to your support for example: e.g. "email@example.com"
- URL: the URL of your Company: e.g. "https://www.steinberg.net"
- C++ Namespace: this allows you to predefine a namespace which will be used to surround your plug-in source code: e.g. "
Like mentioned above in the subsection Path Preferences you could change several locations:
- VST3 SDK Path: the current used VST 3 SDK you have previously downloaded.
- CMake Executable Path: the current used CMake tool
Setting and creating a plug-in project
In this tab you are defining some information for the creation of a new plug-in:
- Name: the name of the plug-in which is displayed in a host: e.g. "AGain"
- Type: this specifies the main VST 3 Sub-Category (PlugType) of your plug-in:
- Use VSTGUI: check this if you want to use VSTGUI as UI framework
- macOS Deployment Target: enter here the minimum requested macOS version targeted
- C++Class Name: this specifies the basename of your plug-in classes: e.g. "AGain"
- Bundle ID: this is the ID needed for example for the Info.plist of macOS: e.g. "com.steinberg.again"
- Filename Prefix: (optional) this will be added as file prefix to the created files: e.g. "AGain" => AGainProcessor.cpp / AGainController.h / ...
- Output Directory: you define here in which folder your project will be created
- CMake Generator: CMake tool required to define a generator in order to create configuration files for a specific build system: there are 2 kinds of generators: Command-Line and IDE. Choose the one you need for example:
- on Windows: Visual Studio 16 2019
- on macOS: Xcode
Once all information is setup, you could click on Create, a script will created and CMake will be used and the chosen IDE will be opened. In the bottom area the script output is displayed, you have the possibility to copy it by using the dedicated button: Copy Script Output To Clipboard.
You can contribute to this project on https://github.com/steinbergmedia/vst3projectgenerator!
- No labels